14 September 2011

Death Record - Maria Avelina da Conceicao

Antonio Avelino de Macedo was married before he married my great-grandmother Leonizia. According to his marriage record to Leonizia, he was the widow of Maria Avelina da Conceicao. I thought I better try to find her death record. I knew she died before 7 April 1920 when Antonio married Leonizia but didn't know how long she had been dead. I figured if, as according to my dad, he married 5 times, he didn't wait very long between marriages. So I started looking back from 1920 for Maria's death record. There are LOTS of Maria's in Brazil!!! I looked for the name (off to the side) then looked for the age. Many of the Maria's were young children or single/widows. Then I found her!
Source: Family Search, "Brazil, Catholic Church Records," digital image, Family Search (familysearch.org : downloaded 12 September 2011), Death of Maria Avelina da Conceicao, 8 Mar 1919, Sao Sebastiao, Picui, Paraiba, Brazil, Anno de 1919, entry 25; from dioceses and local parish archives throughout Brazil.

Transcription:

Maria
Aos oito de Marco de mil novecentos e dezenove foi sepultado no Cemiterio publico desta Villa o cadaver de Maria Amelia da Conceicao com quarenta e trez annos de idade cazada com Antonio Avelino de Macedo, o cadaver foi emcommendado moradores nesta Freguezia.
  Para constar mandei fazer este assento.
   Pe Antonio augusto, Vigario

Translation:

Maria
On the eighth of March of nineteen hundred and nineteen was buried in the Public Cemetery of this township the body of Maria Amelia da Conceicao at fourty three years of age married to Antonio Avelino de Macedo, the body was designated as residents of this County.
For the record I made this truthful account
      Father Antonio Augusto, vicar.

Items of Note:

  • Maria died on 8 Mar 1919, and Antonio married his next wife, Leonizia on 7 Apr 1920 just over a year later.
  • Maria was 43 years old when she died, did she really die in childbirth and was it really her first child as my father said? If Maria was Antonio's 3rd wife, maybe she was married before? Or, maybe they hadn't been married long?

No comments:

Post a Comment