22 June 2011

Who is Lloyd Lund? ... the investigation continues

Last time, I wasn't sure which Lloyd Lund was "my" Lloyd. I had two choices...Lloyd W. and Lloyd H.

3. Next, I decided to do a general Ancestry search for Lloyd Lund born 1918 ± 1 yr, born in Utah. The 1920 Census I've already looked at came up, along with the 1930 England Family and Thomas Lund Family Censuses. But...I also got hits for Lloyd Wayne  Lund and Lloyd Harold Lund's Military Records. Now we're on to something! So, I looked at both and found the connection...to Sadie Lund!! BINGO!

So "my" Lloyd is in fact - Lloyd Wayne Lund. Born 7 Oct 1918 to Sadie Lund Lyon. A father isn't listed so that leads me to believe that he was born out of wedlock. Sadie didn't marry George Benjamin Lyon until 1939 - Lloyd would have been nearly 21 years old! I doubt that George was his father and then waited 20 years to marry his mother. To find that, I guess I'd have to find his Birth or Death Certificate...both of which aren't available for free on the Utah Archives website, yet. I could pay to money, but I'll probably just wait.

4. From additional research I found Lloyd's obituary.
Lloyd Wayne Lund
Standard-Examiner (Ogden, UT) - July 10, 2004
Together Again
OGDEN - Lloyd Wayne Lund , 85, passed away Tuesday, July 6, 2004 at the Crestwood Care Center in Ogden, of causes incident to age.
He was born October 7, 1918 in Plain City, to Sadie Bardella Lund. He was raised in Plain City by his uncle and aunt, Peter M. and Elvira L. Folkman. He graduated from Weber High School.
He married Bessie Grow on October 23, 1942 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Their marriage was solemnized in the Salt Lake LDS Temple on September 22, 1943. They loved and cherished each other throughout their lives. They had just celebrated their 61st wedding anniversary before
Bessie passed away October 31, 2003. They lived in Ogden throughout their married life.
Lloyd was a veteran of World War II and was a true patriot.
He was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and had a strong testimony of the Gospel. He served in many church capacities throughout his life. He was a member of four bishoprics, a high priest leader, and a temple worker. He was very organized and gave his best in all he did.
He was a Rural Letter Carrier for the U.S. Postal Service for 30 years, retiring in 1979. He was a member of the United Rural Letter Carriers Association and was a member of the Veteran of Foreign Wars Association. Lloyd loved his home, yard, and his church responsibilities. He was an exceptionally kind and loving man to all who knew him.
The family would like to thank the wonderful staff at Crestwood Care Center, as well as the Applegate Hospice nurses for their loving care and attention. It was greatly appreciated.
Surviving are several nieces and nephews.
Lloyd was preceded in death by Bessie, his parents, one sister/cousin, Amy Robson, four brothers/cousins, Clair Folkman, Roy Folkman, Cliff Folkman, and Royal Carver.
Funeral services will be held Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 3 p.m. at Lindquists Ogden Mortuary, 3408 Washington Blvd., with Bishop Neil Garner, presiding.
Family and friends may call at the mortuary on Saturday from 2 to 2:45 p.m.
Interment, Lindquists Washington Heights Memorial Park, 4500 Washington Blvd.
Email condolences to the family at lom@lindquistmortuary.com.
Section: Obits
Record Number: 10AE162C8C1FBBD3
Copyright 2004, 2005 Standard-Examiner

It doesn't appear that he and Bessie had any children. His family preceding him in death are listed as sister/cousin or brother/cousin. So according to this he was raised by the Folkman's. So who are the England's? Amy Robson was the reference in the 1930 Census.

It all seems a bit jumbled still but at least now I know that Lloyd Lund is Sadie Lund's son, most likely born out of wedlock. She later married George Lyon and I don't think had any more children. Lloyd was raised by the Folkman's, but at some point was living with the England's and is referenced in connection with Amy Robson. I guess I'm left with more questions than answers, but know more than I started with...which is the goal.

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking in to my mom's family history, and Sadie Lund keeps coming up as her biological grandmother. My mom never knew her dad, just a name. Several things I've read list Lloyd as his brother. Not sure if there is any connection at all, as I'm just starting this process, but it looks like Lloyd may have been a half-brother and 2 years younger than my mom's father, George Lund Thompson. Thought I'd put it out there and see if any of that tracks?

    ReplyDelete