01 February 2012

Ada Rose Taylor - Death Certificate

According to the gravestone, Ada died the same day as her daughter Hannah. Let's take a look at Ada's death certificate.
Source: State of Utah, Utah Death Certificates, 1904-1956, Entry no. 22738, Ada Rose Taylor death certificate, 9 September 1909; digital images, Utah State Archives and Records Service, Utah State Archives (archives.utah.gov : downloaded 30 January 2012); Series no. 81448.

Interesting:

  • Her name is listed at the top as Ada Ross, but it is Ada Rose and you can tell that looking at her name in the actual certificate.
  • We get her birthdate and parents names. Her daughter appears to be named for her mother Hannah Maria Harris.
  • The last names lead me to question if her relatives had anything to do with the settling of Harrisville or Taylorsville which are both only a few miles from Plain City where she lived with her husband. He also had the last name Taylor so perhaps his family was connected to the settlement as well.
  • Now I get a confirmation of my suspicions. I knew Ada died the same day as her baby who was still born. I assumed Ada died because of complications due to pregnancy. Now we learn she died because of a Placental Hemmorhage and Placenta Preivia. Both of those are serious even today, so I can't imagine 100 years ago. Having experienced the former myself, I can sympathize with this woman and her dear child.

No comments:

Post a Comment