29 August 2012

Edith Pearl (Taylor) Lund's personal history

Grandma Pearl, about 1915

I have such a huge pile of documents and pictures to sort through...it's kinda crazy. And wonderful!

Right now I'm looking through the Taylor family pile I received from "Aunt Jeanine" who is Troy's Father's aunt. She is the youngest daughter of Victor and Pearl (Taylor) Lund and had some amazing pictures and documents to share.

One document was the Taylor Talk newsletter for the Taylor Association from December 1977. In it was included some personal histories that were shared at the family reunion from that July. One of them was for Grandma Pearl.
Grandma Pearl, probably 1970's

(Pearl is the daughter of Ada Rose Taylor and William Taylor, who were third cousins. She is the granddaughter of Joseph Taylor and his third wife, Hannah Mariah Harris.)
I’m happy to be here today and see so many of my lovely relatives. I can’t see to read, so my daughter Ada Frazier will read what I have to say. Thank you.
(Ada begins) Mother is a timid little person, so she absolutely refused to say anything, so I have tried to sketch out a few of her life’s happenings.
Edith Pearl Taylor Lund was born June 28, 1891 in Poplar, Plain City, Utah. As you know, for many years Poplar was a little branch of Plain City about two miles east of the main town. She was the eldest daughter of William and Ada Rose Taylor. Her mother, Ada Rose, being the eighth child of nine of Hannah Mariah Harris, the third wife of Joseph Taylor. Her mother died at the age of 37 in childbirth. Both she and the child died the same day. She was the mother of nine children, also, Mother being the oldest. Many of you know her brothers and sisters: Leslie—he was from Idaho Falls—he died three years ago; Manila Hancock, who passed away 5 or 6 years ago, Lila May Hinchcliff, of St. Charles, Idaho, better known as the east side of Bear Lake; LaVern, who recently passed away; and Earl, of Silver City, California; then she had a brother Rulon that died as a baby. Their home at that time was the one in which Sister Olive Taylor lives now, or better known as Uncle Elmer Taylor’s home. In fact, that was known as Taylor’s Lane, I think, because Grandpa had seven brothers and one sister, and they all lived on that road.
She attended school in Poplar in a little schoolhouse on the north side of the street across from Augusta Nash or Fred Kenley, who was a life-long resident of Plain City. As a girl she would have to help care for the family and wash with all the old handwashers that I remember, too. She said many times her mother would still be washing when they came home from school. On Saturday her mother would go to Ogden and be gone all day to buy clothing and food or supplies for the family, because at that time they had only horses and buggies, leaving her and the older ones to tend the babies and do the housework. Her father was a great lover of horses and would go out on the range or Promontory Point to round up horses, bring them in and break them and sell them. I think all of the Taylors on that side were horse lovers, as was my dad. My Dad always had plenty of horses. They always told the story that as he was out there rounding up horses, someone rode out to help him and told him that Mother had cut her first tooth. So he immediately saddled up his horse and rode home to see it. This was always told to us by Brother Clark Streeter from Plain City, a neighbor.
She played the organ in Primary as a young child. Later they took down the schoolhouse in Poplar and sent the children down to the Plain City School. She graduated from the 8th grade in 1907. They held the graduation in the old tabernacle.
In August 1909 her father rented that house and bought a home down in Plain City. Many remember this house on the south side of the street across from the Plain City Cemetery, where Brother William Heslop’s family lived in later years. I see his children here today. They moved there in August, and in September her mother gave birth to this ninth child. Both mother and child died. This left Mother to take care of the family and keep house for seven children and Grandpa. She was eighteen years old at this time. She was dating my father, Victor Lund then, but she stayed home for two more years with the older ones until they were able to go out to work. She and Dad were married January 18, 1911 in the Salt Lake Temple. But they lived on with Grandpa another two years to help take care of the small children. Then they got a house of their own. Her brother LaVern came to live with her when he was eight years old, and Earl went to live with Aunt Nell in West Weber. Aunt Lile moved to Ogden and lived with the family of Leonard Taylor (of the Taylor Pet Shop), and the others gradually got married. Enough credit cannot be given to my Dad or Mother for the loving care they gave her family. Her home was always their home. Dad was so free and unselfish, even as hard as times were. The doors were always open, and they still are. In fact, home is still their home.
Mother was always active in the church organizations. After she was married, she was Sunday School Secretary, organist in the Primary for several years, she was teacher in the Religion Class until they dispensed with that organization. She and Dad were members of the ward choir for many years. She was a member of the Relief Society Singing Mothers, and she has been a Relief Society visiting teacher for 43 years. She also taught in the 4-H clubs.
Dad passed away Feb. 26, 1965. This made a great loss in our home. But bless her heart, she was able to accept it and carry on. On April 1st this year my two daughters and my son-in-law, my sister Janeen [sic] and I took her by car to Reading, California, to see LaVern, who was critically ill. She stood the trip so well, in fact better than some of us. She had such a good visit with him and with Earl (he lives only three hours’ drive away). Many of you know that LaVern passed away June 14th of this year, and we surely sense a great loss. He was just like a big brother to me, coming to live with us when he was eight years old.
Mother and Dad had four children: myself, Eugene, Verla, who died at the age of 11, and Janeen [sic] Allen. Mother was 86 years old on June 28th. Our families, totaling 26 who were able to go, had their dinner for her at Graycliff. Only four of mine, who live in New Jersey, were not there.
She is a choice spirit. She still keeps her own home—spotlessly clean—fixes her three good meals a day, and eats right by the clock. She’ll say she is going to do something, and I’ll say that I’ll be right over, but she has already been up on the ladder and washed the windows outside, washed the dishes in the cabinet. About all she leaves for me to do is wash the walls in the kitchen, and we threaten her not to do that. If you stop in to visit her, she still has refreshments for everyone. In fact, she is real insulted if you don’t stop and eat a bite with her. She still walks to church every Sunday, which is just a short Plain City block, and as always, attends all activities. I know there has never been a death in Plain City but what she has sent a choice frozen jello salad. She is in perfect health, although her eyes are getting bad. But we are so proud of her and thankful that we have had such a kind, patient person for our mother. We hope she continues as well as she is as long as life is desired. She had four children, 12 grandchildren, and 22 great-grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment